After receiving late Professor Proton's advice, Sheldon decides to skip the premiere of the new Star Wars movie to be with Amy on her birthday. Sheldon and Amy finally consummate their relationship. The other guys go nuts over seeing the movie premiere.
Extended PlotCue the Star Wars theme. Roll credits over a dark star field.
"Episode 194. The Opening Night Excitation. It was a period of great tension. Our heroes, Leonard, Sheldon, Wolowitz and Koothrappali know that tickets to the Star Wars movie are about to be available for pre-sale. If they fail in their mission and can't see it on opening night Sheldon has sworn that they will never hear the end of it for the rest of their lives... They believe him." Pan down to planet Earth.
In Apartment 4A, Leonard walks in on the guys and announces that the tickets are already being sold. Raj doesn't believe it. Leonard snaps that it's Steel Magnolias 2: Even Steelier. Sheldon can't get in because the website is frozen. Then Sheldon exclaims that desperate times call out for desperate measures and falls to his knees and starts praying. He tells the Lord that he is good friends with his mom and that he has always denied his existence... Howard exclaims that he has the tickets. ...then Sheldon adds that he will continue to deny God's existence.
In the present day, Sheldon, Leonard and Penny are in the kitchen. Both are glad that Sheldon is back together with Amy. Leonard is also excited that Star Wars opens in three days. Sheldon is taking off the day to watch the original trilogy and also eat enough Star Wars cereal to choke a Wookie. Penny reminds Sheldon that Thursday is also Amy's birthday; however, Sheldon bought the tickets while they were still broken up. Penny doesn't feel it wise to ditch her on her birthday when they just got back together. Sheldon points out that if he sees it later, someone could ruin the movie for him while he knows that on her birthday Amy is one year older. No surprise to that! Penny suggests that he put that on her birthday cake.That night as Sheldon sleeps Arthur Jeffries shows up dressed in Jedi robes appears and is "thrilled" to be back. Sheldon awakes surprised to see him. He has previously appeared when Sheldon needed advice or a nightlight since Arthur's apparition glows. Sheldon explains that his friends don't think he should abandon his girlfriend on her birthday to see the new Star Wars movie. Arthur feels that that sounds right and complains that his Jedi robes have no undergarments. Amy knows how much the movie means to him. Arthur points out that since he loves her, he should show her how much she means to him. Also he has only a limited time to spend with her and he should do that. Sheldon agrees.
Sheldon then calls up Amy who is asleep to tell her that he'll be with her on her birthday. He explains about Arthur coming to him and that he won't be going to see the movie. She says that that is fine and good night and then realizes that he wasn't going to be there. Sheldon has a conflicting girlfriend moment and tells her good night.
The next evening, the guys are surprised Sheldon is giving up the movie for Amy. He isn't even going to the comic book store so he can research what he is doing for her. Sheldon wants someone worthy to get his ticket. Leonard says that Penny might want to go. Sheldon snatches it back and gives it to Raj.
Penny and Bernadette are having wine in Apartment 4B, as Sheldon knocks on her door. Bernadette tells him to come in. He knocks asking for Bernadette as Penny tells him to come in. Sheldon says that he has nowhere else to go. Bernadette tells him to just come in. After calling them "Means Girls", he wants their help in selecting his gift for Amy. 1. The possibility of her playing her harp with the LA Philharmonic. (Bennigan's will make a fuss over your birthday, so why not the orchestra?) 2. An all expense paid weekend to the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival. (She likes to knit her own sweaters.) Penny was hoping for a Bazinga. Bernadette thought that it would be romantic, but she would be going alone. 3. Coitus. A surprised Penny breaks the wine glass in her hand upon hearing the news.
At the comic book store, Leonard first thinks of giving the ticket to Stuart. Raj and Howard don't like Stuart's habits while watching the movie. Also his doctor is worried about Stuart's circulation so he is going to be walking around the mall for exercise. Wil Wheaton enters the store and Howard quickly asks him who is glad to go with them.
As Penny is sweeping up the glass, she recaps his options as the harp thing, the sheep thing... "The wild thing", Bernadette adds. Sheldon is worried that the wool convention has only 8000 tickets left. Penny tells him that being intimate is a big step. Sheldon feels that it might be the right time and he wants to show her how much she means to him. Penny calls his offer beautiful. Sheldon then has decided that Amy's birthday present is going to be his genitals.The Posse duo of Penny and Bernadette are taking Amy out for her birthday a day early. Amy suggests that they try the new Mexican place on Green Street. Penny wonders if she would rather go get a bikini wax. She says no. Bernadette then suggests that afterwards they watch a dirty movie and see if she has any questions. Now she wants to know what's up. Bernie doesn't want to ruin anything, but says that Sheldon plans on getting physical tomorrow night. Amy exclaims, "YOU SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH!" She's overwhelmed and sits down on the steps. Amy doesn't know what to say. The girls are happy for her. Amy jumps up knowing what to say: Let's get me waxed!" as she races down the stairs.
Arthur returns to Sheldon wondering why he can't appear in Angie Dickinson's bedroom. Sheldon tells him about his plans to be physical with Amy. Arthur tries to kill himself with his light saber, but it just goes through him. He starts to explain the birds and the bees, but Sheldon is really just worried about that he will be overwhelmed on this important night and ruin everything. Arthur reassures him that if he is with the right person everything will be okay. Sheldon thanks him and calls him the wisest of the wise. Arthur reminds him that he's just in Sheldon's mind. So Sheldon tells him "Well then, you're fun to look at".
The guys are excited that opening night has finally comes. Penny is just glad that now they will stop talking about it. Raj still can't believe that Sheldon gave it up for Amy. Leonard thinks that they're going to have so much more fun than he is. Bernadette says "Oh, no they're not!" and Penny says, "Knowing them...yeah, they will.". At the movies, the audience starts booing since Wil Wheaton shows up in a Star Trek uniform dressed as Mr. Spock. Wil is loving the rejection. He tells the guys that since he was on Star Trek he's rooting for the home team. Someone calls out that Star Trek stinks. Wil replies, "Live long and suck it."
Amy is in her apartment with romantic music (Super Mario Brothers theme song) playing and surrounded by lit candles. Sheldon knocks with "Birthday girl" as his usual knock. Amy lies on her couch looking seductive, asks him to come in, but he can't because her chain is on. Sheldon has flowers and apologizes for being late. He lost her balloon and chased it awhile. She goes to put the flowers in water and then asks what his plans are. Sheldon suggests going out to dinner and maybe look for the balloon. She says that she is not that hungry so maybe he could give her present first. She wants him to give "it" to her. Amy says that she knows he was going to offer her intimacy. Sheldon asks if that's okay. Amy jumps up and kisses him. Sheldon still needs to have her verbal consent, which she immediately says yes to. He mentions a contract from the Internet and she kisses him again, which interrupts him and he reciprocates the kiss forgetting about the contract.
Leonard asks Wil why he is there if he doesn't like the movie. Wil explains that he is enjoying himself and that his point is that people shouldn't take the Star Wars movie so seriously. And that if the movie is bad, it shouldn't ruin their life. Raj is now convinced that the movie is bad. Wil says that whether the movie is good or bad, it won't change their lives. Leonard agrees that whatever happens they will still be back the next day to see it again.Back in Back in Apartment 4A, Bernadette wonders if Sheldon will really go through with it. Penny replied that he said he was ready. Bernadette added that he also said he was ready to pull the guts out of something this year. Penny thinks he can do it because she explained to him what im what like and after he stopped gi, he sounded pretty sure of himself. Later, Sheldon is in Amy's bed slightly nervous wearing only a white T-shirt as Amy enters in a knee length pink nightgown. Both shyly say hello to each other. Amy climbs into bed with him. They nervously greet each other again. Sheldon notices that Amy is shaking and he asks her if she's cold. Amy admits she's nervous because this is their first time. She doesn't know what to expect since she has been waiting for so long and she has built it up in her head. Sheldon also doesn't know what will happen and gently assures her that they will find out together. Amy agrees. They lean over and kiss.
At the movie, Leonard is nervous and doesn't know what to expect. Howard says that they have been waiting so long. Wil again reminds them that it's just a movie. Though he does remind them of Jar-Jar ("The Phantom Menace") to get them worrying again.
"A few hours later in bedroom not far away..."Now naked, Sheldon remarks that he enjoyed it more than he thought he would. Amy's hair is wildly messed up and Sheldon's is neat. "Me, too," she says gleefully. They are both holding hands. Sheldon tells her he can't wait for her next birthday so they can do it again. Amy smiles and says, "That works for me."
Back at the movie, Wil Wheaton says that they enjoyed more than they thought they would. The guys are shell-shocked or having a post-coital reaction and unable to move like Sheldon and Amy (showing how much that they loved the new film). Raj doesn't think that he can walk right away.
A few nights later, Professor Proton visits Sheldon again and he asks how did it go. Sheldon said that he saw it a few days later and it was amazing. The Star Wars movie. What about Amy? She really liked the movie too. Arthur smiles at him and says, "Good talk."
- Guest starring:
- Teleplay: Steve Holland, Jim Reynolds & Maria Ferrari
- Story: Steven Molaro, Eric Kaplan & Tara Hernandez
- Title Reference: The excitement of the opening of the new Star Wars movie and Amy's feelings over losing her virginity.
- Music: "Star Wars (Main Title)" composed and conducted by John Williams and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.
- Taping date: November 17, 2015
- This episode was watched by 17.23 million people with a rating of 4.1 (adults 18-49).
- Total viewers including DVR users 24.42 million.
- The Big Bang Theory was ranked #2 for the week ending December 20, 2015.
- This episode aired in Canada on December 17, 2015.
- In the United Kingdom, this episode aired on Thursday, March 17, 2016.
- Chuck Lorre's vanity card 
- Episode transcript 
- Jesse Schedeen of IGN - This episode seemed to swing the Big Bang Theory pendulum back in favor of humor over the character drama that's dominated much of Season 9. I've been a fan of the more dramatic for the most part, but it probably is time for a change of pace. "The Opening Night Excitation" put the final bow on the Sheldon/Amy storyline and leaves the show open for new stories and conflicts in 2016. I'm hoping we'll see more attention paid to Raj's relationship with Emily (especially now that he's the only one not in a healthy, stable romance) and Sheldon and Leonard's quest for scientific glory. And perhaps we'll see Sheldon dust off that engagement ring before the end of the season? 
- IMDb user reviews 
- This is the only episode of the series to show the episode title on-screen (as part of the opening Star Wars-like crawl). Every other title has been derived from other sources, such as production materials, television guide listings (print, online, cable and satellite guides, etc.), and the Blu-ray and DVD releases.
- Sheldon and Amy finally have coitus for the first time; five and a half years after first meeting and four years after becoming boyfriend/girlfriend.
- Bob Newhart reprised his role as Professor Proton. He appeared in his ghostly Jedi form to give Sheldon advice regarding an important decision. He last appeared in "The Proton Transmogrification" (S7E22) where he had died and he told Sheldon he would be there if he ever needed him.
- This is one of two episodes that Arthur Jeffries appears in without the word "Proton" in the title. The other is "The Planetarium Collision".
- Wil Wheaton makes a second reappearance this season. He last appeared in episode 7 "The Spock Resonance" (S9E7).
- This episode is Star Wars themed to coincide with the release of Star Wars; The Force Awakens.
- Amy's birthday is December 17, five days after the birthday of her actress, Mayim Bialik (December 12).
- It is implied that Sheldon and Amy's coitus lasts the length of the new "Star Wars" movie (2 hrs 16 mins). This was somewhat confirmed by Sheldon in "The Birthday Synchronicity" (S10E11).
- Sheldon enjoyed his coitus more than he thought he would, despite his aversion to sex and the messy mixing of bodily fluids.
- First time Amy is seen topless though under her bed covers. Also, fifth time Sheldon is seen topless after "The Parking Spot Escalation" (S6E9), "The Convention Conundrum" (S7E14), "The Relationship Diremption" (S7E20) and "The Troll Manifestation" (S8E14).
- Sheldon requested some sexual advice from the most experienced person he knew: Penny. She told him what a woman likes while he kept giggling.
- The first episode where "Bazinga" is spoken since "The Stag Convergence" (S5E22).
- The guys' experience at the "Star Wars" movie mirrored Sheldon and Amy's experience.
- First time Sheldon knocks three times with Bernadette's name (which he actually does on Penny's door off-screen). He previously used Bernadette's name with Penny's name and Amy's name (one name out of the three women each on the knocks he did on Penny's door off-screen) at the ending of "The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition" (S51E0) and he previously used the three girls names (Amy, Bernadette, Penny) together on the three knocks (which he did on Penny's door off-screen) in one scene of "The Workplace Proximity" (S7E5). He also did those three knocks to both Bernadette and Amy at the same three times at the restaurant window in "The Anything Can Happen Recurrence" (S7E21).
- Amy shares no scenes with the other three guys (Howard, Raj and Leonard) in this episode.
- Bernadette has no speaking parts with Howard, Raj and Leonard in this episode.
- Wil's joke about Jar Jar is a reference to the hype and disappointment of Star Wars: Episode I; The Phantom Menace, which has been referenced multiple times in the series. Interestingly, in "The 21-Second Excitation" (S4E8), Sheldon called Will the Jar Jar Binks of the ''Star Trek'' universe.
- Wil shouts "Live long and suck it," like Sheldon did in "The Recombination Hypothesis" (S5E13) when he was delivered the wrong Mr. Spock cardboard cutout,
- When Sheldon explains his second idea to send Amy to the Sheep and Wool Festival, he tells them that Amy would be going alone, because "If you think I'm afraid of birds, you should see me around sheep:" however, Sheldon had already overcome his fear of birds in a previous episode (S5E9-"The Ornithophobia Diffusion").
- When Arthur mentions that he is probably a manifestation of his sub-conscious, Bob Newhart is emulating his psychologist character Robert Hartley from his 1970's sitcom "The Bob Newhart Show".
- This episode broke rating records, having been watched by over 23 million viewers.
- Mayim Bialik posted a few articles in her blog (GrokNation) about that episode. In one called "Behind the Scenes with Mayim", she wrote that, in the scene where Sheldon tells the girls he thinks about having coitus with Amy and Kaley Cuoco (Penny) snaps the top off the glass, they actually tried several things like: spit takes and dropping the glass. She also mention a few other fun facts about this episode.
- This episode number was 9.11 which in the USA means either the emergency phone number for fire and police or the date of the NYC and WDC terrorist attacks in 2001.
- While Sheldon does seem to enjoy his coitus, he performed it as a present for his girlfriend and not because of a sexual urge of his own.
- This episode won the record of the most 7+ views (Delayed viewing) of any show.
- (in Amy's bedroom. Amy emerges from the bathroom in her nightgown, Sheldon is already in her bed)
- Amy: Hi.
- Sheldon: Hello.
- Amy: So, um... should I get under the covers with you?
- Sheldon: All right. (clears throat)
- Sheldon: Hello.
- Amy: Hi!
- Sheldon: Why are you shaking? Are you cold?
- Amy: I'm just, um... really nervous.
- Sheldon: Why?
- Amy: Well... I've been waiting for this for so long, I've just... built it up in my head. I don't know what to expect.
- Sheldon: Neither do I. But... we can find out together.
- Amy: Okay.
- (They lean in and share a tender kiss)
- (Cut to movie theater; the guys are waiting for the movie to start)
- Leonard: I'm really nervous.
- Howard: I know. We've been waiting so long for this.
- Raj: And we've built it up in our heads so much.
- Wil Wheaton: Guys, it's just a movie. That's true. He's right. It is.
- Wil Wheaton: Although, we all remember Jar Jar.
- Raj: Leonard, I-I'm scared again.
- (The caption scene that reads "A few hours later in a bedroom, not far away" is played for one second. It now opens to the scene of a naked Sheldon on his pillow in bed with Amy)
- Sheldon: Well, I enjoyed that more than I thought I would.
- (Then here is a scene of the naked messy bed-haired Amy in bed with Sheldon)
- Amy: (her belly is expanding and shrinking with delight) Me, too.
- Sheldon: I look forward to your next birthday when we do it again.
- Amy: (with a laugh) That works for me.
- (Cut to Movie theater; the movie has ended)
- Wil Wheaton: I enjoyed that more than I thought I would.
- Raj: I don't think I can walk right now.
- Sheldon (off): (knocking) Penny. (knocking) Penny? (knocking) Penny?
- Bernadette: What happens if I say, “Come in”?
- Penny: Well, find out.
- Bernadette: Come in!
- Sheldon: (Momentary silence) (knocking) Bernadette? (knocking) Bernadette? (knocking) Bernadette?
- Penny: Come in!
- Sheldon: (out of vision) Keep it up. I got nowhere else to be.
- Bernadette: Just come in.
- Sheldon: For future reference, if I want to watch Mean Girls, I'll stream it on Netflix.
- Penny: We're sorry. What do you need?
- Sheldon: Well, as you know, I'll be celebrating Amy's birthday with her, and I could use your assistance in helping me select the perfect gift.
- Bernadette: Sure.
- Sheldon: Well, so far, I've come up with three ideas. The first is a chance for her to play the harp with the L.A. Philharmonic.
- Penny: Wow. You can really arrange that?
- Sheldon: Well, I said a chance, you know. When you tell them it's your birthday at Bennigan's, they make a fuss. I don't see why the Philharmonic would be any different.
- Bernadette: How about something a little more realistic?
- Sheldon: Well, Amy enjoys knitting her own sweaters, so I was thinking of getting her an all-expense-paid trip to the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival.
- Penny: Sorry. I was waiting for the bazinga.
- Bernadette: Hold on. It could be romantic. The two of them away together, keeping each other warm in snowy Wisconsin.
- Sheldon: No, no, no, no. She'd be going alone. Well, if you think I'm afraid of birds, you should see me around sheep.
- Penny: Okay, well, what's the third option?
- Sheldon: That I have coitus with her.
- (Penny is so shocked she breaks the wine glass in her hand and glass shatters on floor)
- Amy: Thanks for taking me out.
- Penny: Well, you're spending your birthday with Sheldon. Why not celebrate early?
- Bernadette: So where do you want to go?
- Amy: I heard that new Mexican place on Green Street is good.
- Penny: Sure, sure. Or we could take you to get a bikini wax.
- Amy: Why would I get a bikini wax for my birthday?
- Penny: Uh, I don't know. It was just a thought.
- Amy: I think I'll just stick to Mexican.
- Bernadette: Great. And then maybe after, we can watch a dirty movie, and if anybody has any questions about what happened or how, we can answer them.
- Amy: Okay, what is going on?
- Penny: Oh, we just want you to be prepared for any surprises that might happen tomorrow.
- Amy: What surprises? Oh.
- Bernadette: We don't want to spoil anything, but you should know that Sheldon said he's ready to be physical.
- Amy: YOU SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH! You actually heard him say this?
- Penny: Yes. He said he wants to do something to show you how much you mean to him.
- Amy: (exhales) I-I can't believe it. I... I don't know what to say.
- Bernadette: Well, we're really happy for you, and we know how much he cares...
- Amy: I do know what to say! Let's get me waxed!
- Raj: Tonight's the night!
- Leonard: Yeah, the wait is finally over!
- Penny: I know. Then y
ou'll finally stop talking about it!
- Howard: Ready to go?
- Raj: Let's do this.
- Penny: Have fun, guys!
- Howard: We will.
- Raj: I can't believe Sheldon gave this up.
- Howard: I know.
- Leonard: We're gonna have so much more fun than him.
- Bernadette: (sing-songy voice) No, they're not.
- Penny: Knowing them, they will.
|Episodes | Season 9|