George and Mary have just finished a sexual tryst with each other, which Mary is quite delighted about. The two haven't been intimate with each other in a long time, and George tells her the tryst was recommended as exercise by his doctor after his heart attack (see episode "Poker, Faith, and Eggs"). The Cooper parents discuss their plans for the weekend, and he wants to go on a fishing trip, but Mary knows such an adventure will be too traumatic for Sheldon. Nevertheless, Mary coaxes her husband into trying to spend time bonding with their youngest son.
George takes the boys to Florida to see a Space Shuttle launch as a way to cater to Sheldon's interests for a change. Prior to the start of the trip, Mary feeds George tips on Sheldon's diet and bathroom schedule. The next morning, George gathers his two sons to get up and go, but for some reason, they can't find Sheldon. As it turns out he was already packed up and ready to go, standing by the tailgate on the passenger side of the family station wagon. On the way to the shuttle launch the Cooper boys stay overnight at a motel, but while there a thunderstorm pours down on them and the shuttle launch gets rained out. To cheer him up, George plays dumb and asks Sheldon how lightning and thunder work, leading the latter to appreciate the former more. Meanwhile, Mary, Missy, and Meemaw go to a beauty salon. Mary and Meemaw get into a heated argument after the latter comments on the former for being "no fun" for forbidding Missy to dye her hair, but both later make amends with one another.
- Title Reference:
- Cape Canaveral: The intended target of a road trip where Sheldon, George and Georgie hope to watch a launch of the Space Shuttle.
- Schrödinger's Cat: A discussion Sheldon brings up with George as his father drives to Florida.
- Cyndi Lauper's Hair: The wild orange puffy hairdo that pop-singer Cyndi Lauper had during the 1980's and early-1990's, and Missy's originally intended goal when Mary offers a trip to the beauty salon two Cooper girls and Meemaw.
- This episode was watched by xx.x million people with a rating of xx.xx (adults 18-49).
- Total viewers including DVR users xx.x million.
- Young Sheldon was ranked #x for the week ending xx December 2017.
- This episode aired in Canada on December 2017.
- It has been mentioned that Mary has 2 brothers: Carl and Edward. Mary names a sibling Charlene. It is possible that Charlene later becomes Carl.
- When George is getting Sheldon into the car in the rain a hotel guest on the top floor can be seen watching then going back in his room and closing the door.
- Sheldon states that the Space Shuttle is launched from Cape Canaveral. The Space Shuttles as well as the Apollo/Saturns are launched from Cape Kennedy. These are separate (but adjacent) facilities. Cape Canaveral is an Air Force Station for military operations (and currently for SpaceX landings).
- Missy is seen reading a magazine published in October 1989 and the shuttle's Sunday launch is scrubbed due to weather, but there were no scheduled STS launches on any Sunday which were delayed by weather in 1989 or 1990.
- In this episode, George Sr. and Mary are seen in bed naked and intimate together and smiling and kissing and before setting off for the trip, George and Mary kiss on the lips. These create an error from The Big Bang Theory since Sheldon has claimed that his parents had a dysfunctional marriage and fought almost all the time and likely no intimacy would've happened.
- Adult Sheldon: "I never did get to see a launch in person, but that was the best trip I'd ever been on. I just wish I'd told my father that while he was alive."