Bert first appears when he meets Amy while she was working there in her own lab in "The Occupation Recalibration". Bert keeps bringing Amy interesting and beautiful rocks every day. It takes Howard and Raj to point out that he likes her. Bert then asks her to a rock and mineral show which she declines because she has a boyfriend. When Bert starts talking about how no one wants to do anything with him, Amy in a fit of sympathy agrees to go. Unfortunately, Bert is taking it as a date. Raj and Howard offer to talk to him to let him down easy and they end up going with him to the show.
Bert also appeared in "The Contractual Obligation Implementation." The same actor played a socially awkward character that Raj met just prior to a library date with Lucy. He tried to crash their date and Raj sent him away. This character is unnamed in the plot, but the closing credits gave the name Bert.
In "The Dependence Transcendence", Bert hosts a Caltech party that only Amy and Penny attend. He feels that Amy is the coolest girl at work and that Sheldon is cool only because he is dating Amy. As the girls are leaving, he tells them that he is in love with both of them.
He reappeared in "The Geology Elevation" after winning a $500,000 MacArthur Fellowship grant from Caltech that makes Sheldon jealous. He admits that he has a thing for Amy, but once he won his grant he thinks that he could do better. He also thinks about nominating Howard for another one which, irritates Sheldon even more.
Bert reappeared in the episode "The Allowance Evaporation" where he is with Shamy on their date night due to his own date bailing on him. He also casually revealed his knowledge of Amy and Sheldon having sex annually, much to her chagrin.
He reappeared in "The Separation Agitation", and it's revealed that he has a recent girlfriend named Rebecca, who only appears to be with him for his grant money. After breaking up with her, Bert instantly regrets it and buys expensive stuff to successfully win her back.
In "The Geology Methodology", Bert asks Sheldon to collaborate with him on a dark matter project involving meteorites which Sheldon likes, but is embarrassed to tell others about. When Bert learns this he stops working with Sheldon and replaces him with Leonard.
He reappeared again in the second episode of Season 12, when Amy and Sheldon were on a scavenger hunt and needed some help figuring out what the wedding gift was, which later turned out to be a quartz wand.
- Bert is known for being a "gentle giant".
- He often makes jokes concerning rocks and stones due to his specialty in geology.
- Like David Gibbs and Zack Johnson, Bert is taller than Sheldon. He's also the tallest character of the show, after Glenn.
|The Big Bang Theory Episodes|
|Young Sheldon Episodes|
|Appeared||M = Mentioned||Did not appear||Not aired/Not available|
|V = Voiced||C = Cameo||F = Flashback||I = Indirectly mentioned||P = Pictured|
- S06E18: "The Contractual Obligation Implementation"
- S07E18: "The Occupation Recalibration"
- S10E03: "The Dependence Transcendence"
- S10E06: "The Fetal Kick Catalyst"
- S10E09: "The Geology Elevation"
- S10E16: "The Allowance Evaporation"
- S10E21: "The Separation Agitation"
- S11E07: "The Geology Methodology"
- S11E13: "The Solo Oscillation"
- S11E24: "The Bow Tie Asymmetry"
- S12E2: "The Wedding Gift Wormhole"
- S12E6: "The Imitation Perturbation"